Posted by: westlancashirerecord | November 21, 2017

Time For Residents To Get Tough On Sewer Flooding

Following a recent stormy flood meeting organised by MP Rosie Cooper between residents, flood groups and the authorities responsible for drainage, Ofwat the water regulator took up the case of one Burscough resident in Gower Gardens who has suffered from sewer flooding and their advice was

“Ofwat may be able to help you in asking United Utilities to take steps to protect you from further flooding. Section 94 of the Water Industry Act (WIA91) places a duty on sewerage companies, to maintain their sewers to ensure that their area is effectually drained. Ofwat can take enforcement action under section 18 of the WIA91 where we are satisfied that a company is, or is likely to be, in breach of its section 94 duty.”

Before we formally do this we ask that you firstly contact the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater) . CCWater is the statutory body that represents the interests of customers in the water industry. They are independent of water companies, and of Ofwat. They offer advice and where possible, assistance, as well as to investigate complaints after the company has had a reasonable chance to deal with them and is well equipped to deal with complaints of this nature.”

Burscough Flooding Group (BFG) are encouraging every resident, who has suffered internal or external foul or surface water sewer flooding which they have reported to United Utilities but it hasn’t been resolved, to now progress their complaint to CCWater as quickly as they can.

Email, write, telephone or contact via their website, the Consumer Council for Water:

Email: CCWater, 1st Floor Victoria Square House, Victoria Square, Birmingham B2 4AJ
Telephone: 0300 034 2222

If you have had foul or surface water flooding problems and suspect United Utilities sewers were the cause and haven’t reported it then complain to United Utilities. Email or write to United Utilities: and put Network Complaints Dept in the subject line. Network Complaints Dept, United Utilities Group PLC, Haweswater House, Lingley Mere Business Park, Lingley Green Avenue, Great Sankey, Warrington WA5 3LP

If you have complained to United Utilities twice and they haven’t resolved the problem contact CCWater (contact details given above).

Please pass this email to anyone who might be affected by flooding and please let BFG know how you get on. Gavin Rattray – Secretary Burscough Flooding Group. Remember, you don’t have to keep on seeing sewage running through your area, the Directors of UU don’t, and what’s good enough for them is good enough for you, as you pay your water bills.   

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: